Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Epia-N production pushed back further?

I've been told by a dealer that Epia-N mass production will not start until March 2006. If this is true, I don't think we can expect to see boards in the UK until around May at the earliest.

Of course, the report could be wrong, but it did come from a dealer who was actually showing pricing on his site that looked realistic, if a little pricey ($399 for the Epia-N 8000E).

Although this is in some ways disappointing after reports of nano-itx sightings in Tokyo's Akihabara district, it further supports recent events, such as the publishing of drivers and manuals, which indicate VIA has not given up on their aim to bring these boards to market.

If you've got any further information, please feel free to get in touch at nanoitx@ecreate.co.uk.



OK, straight after writing that, I got another email from a dealer. This dealer says ETA is 'Q1 / 06', and is quoting prices as well, although they're reseller prices - $340 for the Epia-N 8000E and the Epia-NL 8000E. This is interesting, as it indicates that pricing for the NL will be the same as for the N variant.

For the public, I'd expect to see these boards at about $375 dollars, I guess, so
expect a £219 price point in the UK. I'm reluctant to publish details of these dealers yet, but when the board is available, I'll post the cheapest prices I find. Not being in retail, I'm not sure what markup is usually put on this type of product, but if anyone can enlighten me, please do.

I'm guessing that prices will come down as the Nano-ITX steals sales from some Mini-ITX models and production volumes increase.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home